tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 28 13:57:46 1996

RE: Big Enterprise

>Recently, while watching Star Trek 5, I came across an interesting thing said
by
>the Klingon captain of that movie (can't remember the name...was it torgh?).

>His first officer mentions the Enterprise to him, and he says what sounded
like:
>{enterpray'a'} (captions: "Enterprise?").  Getting to the point, my question
is:
>I thought the interrogative verb suffix {-'a'} could not be used on nouns,
and
>he certainly didn't mean the augmentative noun suffix {-'a'} for big
>Enterprise...did Okrand ever explain this?  Or was it just a mistake?

I think I'll go back for a listen myself.  I do believe that the augmentative
noun suffix <'a'> hold a more specific meaning of "The great".  The caption
might have read "The Great Enterprise".  Remember from other instances the
Enterprise has been refered to as such by Klingons (I think Kraa - ST V).  It
my understanding if you want to use big in the general sense you would use the
stative verb <tIn>.  But that's my two cents!

Back to archive top level