tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 27 16:01:17 1996

Re: K'Temoc jIH

Rolf Wagner (K'Temoc) writes:
>nuqneH!

[]

>KTemoc jIH
>(supposed meaning :): I am K'Temoc)

Yes, that's what it means.  I wouldn't say it this way myself; I don't
consider myself to *be* ghunchu'wI' -- that's just my *name* -- but if
you're comfortable identifying yourself that way, it's fine.

>IKC HupwI'Daq jItoy'
>(I serve aboard the IKC HupwI')

This is a pretty good use of {toy'}.  I'm a little amused by the english
spelling of IKC in the middle of the Klingon name of the ship. :-)

>bIQtIqIw'Daq jIleng jIH
>(I am going to travel on the river of blood)

"river of blood" is {'Iw bIQtIq} (see TKD sections 3.4 and 3.3.4).  Using
{jIH} here is redundant, since the verb already has the prefix {jI-}, so
this tends to indicate emphasis on the subject:  "*I* will travel..."

>Hello everyone!
>I am a newbie! As I want to role-play a Klingon in a free-form Star Trek RPG,
>I want to improve (err...learn from scratch) my Klingon.

You're doing fine so far!  I happen to believe that starting simple is a good
way to learn the right way to say things.

>One question regarding the Klingon Language Postal Course: I don't think that
>it would be a good idea to send you a stamped self-adressed envelope with
>German stamps... you get the problem :-) ?

Ask David Barron how to do it right; I believe he makes special arrangements
for people outside the United States.