tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 26 12:03:50 1996

Today is a...

ghItlh <ra'wI' Seng>:

Isn't "to die" an infinitive form of the verb? thus, you could
leave out the 'to' (and of course the 'is') and translate it as
 today good day die
that'd be if you were stripping the sentence of all unnecessicary
wording.....hope this kelps.....
<<<<<

"To die" is an infinitive... in English. That doesn't tell you
qurgh about how to express this (much overexposed) sentence in
Klingon.

And "unnecessary" (THAT'S how it's spelled) wording can tell a lot
about the structure of the sentence. Hmmm....
    "Today good day die." [I scratch my head.]
    "Today? Good day. Die!" [I stab you.]
    "Today good. Day die." [I point to the setting sun.]
    [...more?]

What if we tried this approach with Terran languages?...
    French:  Aujourd'hui bon jour mourir. POUAH!
    German:  Heute gute Tag sterben. PFUI!
    Russian: Sevodnya xoroshii den' umeret'. CHORT VOZMIY!

No, it won't work. As has been said here before,

            | TRANSLATION IS NOT A WORD-BY-WORD JOB. |

yapqu'. jIvumnISqa'.

     marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
Subcmdr. Markemm, Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
**              Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]             **
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
=> KLINGON PAGE! http://www.dragonsys.com/klingon/klingon.html <=

Back to archive top level