tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 26 11:32:08 1996

Re: NEW question2

[email protected] writes:
\ 1)I picked up a Klingon font. It is soposed to be Klingon writing, yet at
\ the KLI I picked up a GIF of Klingon writing that wasn't even close to the
\ font. Could anyone tell me which one, if any, is write? (sorry but examples
\ are attached)
There is no "right" answer.  According to Paramount, there
 is no official  Klingon writing system .  This is quite intentional.
The art director for the various Star Trek series and movies doesn't
want to have to worry about what something means when designing Klingon
lettering.  Unfortunate, but a fact of life.

There is, however, an *unofficial* mapping used by the KLI that
utilises symbols that have appeared on screen.  This is the KLI-pIqaD
font that you can purchase from the KLI, and the first example in your
GIF. (Incidentally, the example reads {jub jIH}, which isn't
grammatical; "I'm immortal" would be translated as {jIjub}.
Also, it's nontrivial for those of us without Macintoshes to
translate Macintosh attachments; please use MIME if your mail program
is capable of doing so.  But first, before sending any non-text
attachments at all to the list, it's polite to ask first and just
send it to those who want it.  Not everyone can afford the disk space
taken up by such large mail messages.)

The second example is an earlier Klingon font, based on symbols seen on
screen before TNG (either in the original series or in the first movie,
I'm not sure).  It is sometimes used by KLI types to write English
words in the midst of Klingon (much like the katakana is used in
Japanese), to avoid possible confusion around a transliteration into
the Klingon alphabet.

\ 2)How do I translate (from English to Klingon) prepositional phrases?
Depends on the preposition.  There are noun suffixes for a couple of
them: {-Daq} for "to", "at", "in", "on", etc.; {-vo'} for "from".  If
you have any other preposition, then you need to come up with some
other way of saying what you want to say without the preposition.

--
Mark J. Reed                     |             http://www.sware.com
Email: [email protected]  |  HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level