tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 26 06:26:26 1996

Re: Question

 > I have a question.  In the Star Trek:  Klingon CDROM game theyu say that
 > a Qa'Hom means "Little Animal" and is an insult.  Can it be used to
 > describe an animal that is little or is it only used as an insult.

Literally, Qa'Hom just means small type of animal.  As it is used (and
mispronounced by Robert O'Reilly AKA Gowron, who I hear is going to be
at a Star Trek Convention in Europe somewhere ) on the CD, it IS
presented as an insult.  My guess is that it is a context thing.  If
you are talking about squirrels and say:

	tera'Daq *squirrel*mey bIH Qa'Hommey'e'

	(On Earth squirrels are small animals)

It is a statement of fact.

OTOH, if you say

	tera'ngan SuvwI'pu' chaH Qa'Hommey'e'

	(Terran warriors are small animals)

it is an insult.

 joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
   mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'
    http://pages.prodigy.com/mrklingon * [email protected]

Back to archive top level