tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 25 14:45:01 1996

question

KATIE MONCELSI writes:
 > I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what the Klingon word
 > "petaQ" means.

Either, one, an untranslated epithet:

     N: petaQ:  %$@$!!

Or, a rather odd command to a group:

     V: petaQ: you(imp:pl)  be weird

It is more commonly found as the first.

I guess they could even be related - English, after all, has the
declarative "You are nuts!", as well as the interjection "nuts!".

Perhaps "petaQ" began as a expression of disgust with a group or the
universe in general, said as a command "petaQ!", as in "go ahead, all
of you, be as weird as you want - I wash my hands of you!", then
became an expletive by itself.  You could also argue that in a
regimented  military society "being weird", i.e. non-conforming,
is considered obscene.

   ,'._   Dochvam 'oH vuDwIj'e'.  pImlaH vuDlIj.   ,'._

 joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
   mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'
    http://pages.prodigy.com/mrklingon * [email protected]

Back to archive top level