tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 24 20:44:25 1996

Re: translation

ghItlh b'elanna:
>I was wondering if someone could tell me what this
>means.  It's from the Deep Space Nine episode
>"Way of the Warrior" so I can only get what the
>captions on my TV give me.  It says: (phonetically)
>Louk, a jeek chum-ta law.   I think it's supposed to be:
>luq 'a jeQ chun ta la',  but I not sure.

According to the novelization of the episode, this is supposed to mean "Yes, but
I am prettier/better looking than he was.  But of course, Terry Farrel wouldn't
be the first person I'd look to to find out how to pronounce Klingon.

ghItlh Mark Reed:

>luq, 'a jeQ chunta'law'
>which would make more sense as
>luq, 'a jeQlaw' *chunta'

Ok, but this is does not sound like what Dax said

>or, roughly,
>"Yes, but the innocent seem to be confident".

Ok, but this makes no sense in the context of what Dax said (or in what the
meaning is.

What I got from it is this:

luq, 'ach jIH 'IH ghaH law'

Or, roughly "Yes, but I more beautiful then him."
This is basically a word for word translations where the 'more' and the 'then'
come from the {law' / puS} construction.  Of course you must remember the guys
at Paramount would hardly spend their time reading the grammar section.

Back to archive top level