tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 24 08:37:31 1996

Re: Question

>Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 19:15:12 -0700
>From: [email protected]

>In a message dated 96-06-21 17:04:14 EDT, ~mark wrote:

>>We do have a picture of a "Qa'Hom" (little Qa'... either a young one or
>>perhaps another, smaller species that happens to resemble a Qa' slightly)

>Actually, Marc Okrand says that a {Qa'Hom} is not a young {Qa'}, "but it does
>bear a vague resemblence to its namesake."

jIqawHa'law'.  jagh DajeymeH nIteb yISuvrup.  cholughmoHmo' qatlho'; jIlugh
vIneH... :)

Incidentally, it's not all that unusual to call a creature by the name of
another to which it is not related, but perhaps resembles (though maybe
the resemblence isn't obvious).  A Jerusalem Artichoke is not an artichoke,
nor a Sea Anemone an anemone, nor a Guinea Pig a pig, nor a hippopotamus
(Gr. "river horse") a horse.  And in Hebrew, the term for ladybug (neither
a lady nor a bug, btw) is "Cow of Moses our Teacher"!

~mark

Back to archive top level