tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 21 19:12:24 1996

Re: Question

In a message dated 96-06-21 17:04:14 EDT, ~mark wrote:

>We do have a picture of a "Qa'Hom" (little Qa'... either a young one or
>perhaps another, smaller species that happens to resemble a Qa' slightly)
>in the Klingon CD-ROM... It looks sort of like a porcupine, all spiky.
>'Course, it's translated as "titmouse," probably because some Paramount
>drone didn't realize that a titmouse is a bird...

Actually, Marc Okrand says that a {Qa'Hom} is not a young {Qa'}, "but it does
bear a vague resemblence to its namesake."  He also says that "'titmouse is
only an approximation of what this word means."  (It sounds like he was aware
of the error and tried to explain it away . . . good for him!)  The
translation reads "little animal (e.g. ligonian titmouse)."  Finally, note
that the entry on {Qa'Hom} is in the "Curses" section of the program.

As far as I can tell, the word {Qa'Hom} can be applied to any little animal
which resembles a {Qa'}, and an example of this would be the ligonian
titmouse, shown in the picture.  Calling someone a {Qa'Hom} obviously implies
that he is weak and unable to defend himself, and thus not worth killing.
 (This is how Gowron uses it in the intro to the Immersion Studies).

jIjatlh DaH 'e' vImev . . .

SuStel
Hovjaj 96473.8

Back to archive top level