tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 17 19:29:01 1996

Re: KLBC: Sign 'em up!

SajQa' writes:
>yImuv wo', pagh SoHnuch Hegh!
>OK...what I TRIED to say was:
>Join the Empire, or die a coward!.....
>
>Tell me what I said wrong.

As you wish.

You got the first two words reversed.  "Empire" is the object of the
command, so must precede the verb.

"Die" as a command needs an imperative prefix.  If you're talking to
one person, it's {yIHegh}.  For many people, it's {peHegh}.  I don't
see a way to translate the phrase "like a coward" directly, so we'll
have to find a way to restate the idea.  How about this?
{nuch DaDataHvIS yIHegh} "Die while you act like a coward."

>I'm still having drouble with compound sentances.....drat!

Actually, you got the conjunction part of it pretty much right.
"Do this, or else do that."  It was the separate sentences that
gave you the trouble.

[We do have a few canon sentences that express sentiments similar to
this.  They follow the pattern {bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh}.]