tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 17 05:34:18 1996

ghoS or jaH with Go to Jail..?

i have run into yet another problem ;)

In TKD page 171 we can read:

bIghHa'Daq yIghoS - Go to jail

I was making the sentence: s/he/it is going to jail
I have a question: must I use the ghoS - approach, proceed or can i use
the verb jaH - go.

Are they related in the same way that "the" is when you
for example are talking about school as a building or a place
where you learn to read and write?

Let me explain further:
I'm going to [the] school. I'm going to the school.
In the first sentence it is implied that I'm a student,
true, one can use "the" in this sentence. The institution.

In the second sentence it could be a parent
going to a PTA meeting. The building.

Are ghoS and jaH like that? Does ghoS mean that your approaching an
institution or something with a specific meaning and is jaH just go in
general?

My finished sentences are as follows:

bIghHa'Daq jaHtaH
bIghHa' (jail) Daq (locative) jaH (go) taH (ongoing)

bIghHa'Daq ghoStaH
bIghHa' (jail) Daq (locative) ghoS (approach, proceed) taH (ongoing)

Do i need the locative suffix? According to TKD 3.3.5. it is
redundant when i use verbs with a locative notion.

So the question is which one of these translations, if any :) are correct.

Stefan.

Back to archive top level