tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 16 07:05:05 1996

[Resend: Gospel acc. Mark; Radio celebrity status]

Second things first: I've been interviewed here in Melbourne Town for
Radio National (the interviewer found me via Lawrence --- ain't the Net
grand? :-) . Argal, those of you in Australia could do worse than to tune
in to Radio National, Tuesday 10:00 am, and be bedazzled or some such. :-)

On the 11th of May, macheq asked me the following; I thought I might as
well post the answer to the list, as a public record thing:

>Can Nick answer me which version of the Gospel acc. do St. Marc was
>he using for his translation? (the one that is on ftp).

The translation is of the 1919 Nestle version which, I assume, doesn't
differ that greatly from the Nestle-Aland (which is from the '60's, right?)
The reason the number of verses may differ is that I intentionally left
out those verses commonly regarded as spurious (for example, most of the
last chapter.) Nestle similarly puts these verses in footnotes, while at
least some Bible translations italicise them.

Numbering the verses is in fact a sensible idea, as would be, admittedly,
filling in the 'spurious' verses; and it's something I'll do when I get time
too. (Nick guffaws for a second.) For now, a quick check of my Gideon's :-)
shows the omitted verses to be: half of 6:11, 7:16, 9:44, 9:46, part of 10:24,
11:26, part of 13:33, 15:28, 16:9-20.

>I know, the version is not finished (at least the version I dowloaded
>in March hasn't been). Do you plan to finish it? when?

Well, like I said, the end is missing on purpose. I'll add the bits in when
I get time, which won't be in a hurry. I don't know what the official status
of the KBTP is, so I don't know if anything further will be done with this
text.

Hope I've helped.

--
A Frenchman once observed to me:       Nick Nicholas. PhD student,
On the edge of the Rubicon             Linguistics, University of Melbourne.

Back to archive top level