tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 14 07:01:33 1996

KLBC: borg'ngan

beHwI"av wrote:
>>>tlhIngan yIjatlh'a'
>>
>"[Do you] speak a Klingon!"  An imperative prefix such as {yI-} and the
>>interrogative suffix {-'a'} don't make sense together.
>
>You mean it's a pleonasm.

ple.o.nasm \'ple--*-.naz-*m\ \.ple--*-'nas-tik\ \-ti-k(*-)le-\ n [LL
   pleonasmus, fr. Gk pleonasmos, fr. pleonazein to be exces]sive, fr.
   pleio-n, pleo-n more - more at PLUS : the use of more words than those
   necessary to denote mere sense (as in the man he said) : REDUNDANCY; also :
   an instance or example of such use of words - ple.o.nas.tic aj

Having just looked up the definition of "pleonasm", I can say firmly:
"No, it isn't."  If I understand the word correctly, a pleonasm would
be something redundant like {juHDaq ghoS} "he is approaching to home"
(known to be acceptable grammar), or *{jej yaS tajDaj} "the officer's
his knife is sharp" (which I'm not sure should be accepted).

{yIjatlh'a'} is not redundant, it is contradictory.  {yI-} indicates
a command, but {-'a'} indicates a yes/no question.  I don't see any
way to reconcile their use together.

>>wIvwI' SoH
>
>"You are my choice."  While this is grammatically correct, and actually
>has a surprisingly appropriate use of the suffix {-wI'}, it's extremely
>focused on nouns.  I'd turn it around to be more verb-centric, and say
>{SoH vIwIvta'} "I have selected *you*."

I need to say two things here.  First, I apologize for trivializing
beHwI"av's sentence; it is correct, in both grammar and meaning.  My
preference for more "active" sentences shouldn't have any bearing on
how I judge others' writing.  Second, I goofed on the verb prefix in
my suggested rewrite: it should be {SoH qawIvta'}.  (I can imagine a
context in which the mismatched prefix might actually be appropriate,
but this isn't it.)

Alan Anderson              Delco Electronics
{ghunchu'wI'}       Remanufacturing Services
        Test Equipment System Software Group

Back to archive top level