tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 13 08:24:49 1996

RE: To greet or not to greet? The canonical question

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Chet Braun wrote:

>      I agree that newbies should not be treated rudely, and I don't think
> they have been, but it should be kept in mind that this is a KLINGON
> list.  Klingons would correct mistakes swiftly, forcefully, and
> immediately.
> --------------------------
> Right, but Klingons would hardly sit on their duffs debating the nuances of their
> language use either.  Seems to prove that we're just Humans discussing Klingons
> and not really Klingons.
>
> HetaQ

     I disagree that Klingons would not debate the nuances of their
language.  It is clearly stated that Klingons take their curses, toasts,
language, etc., very seriously.  Additionally, they routinely engage in
mu'qaD veS as entertainment.  It seems that Klingons consider language to
be another weapon as their disposal.  If this is so, then I do not
believe that they would not explore the subtleties of their language, in
order to use it more effectively.

Thomas M. Zeman                         " reH nuHmey tu'lu' "

Chairman, Connecticut Division, United States Fencing Association
Prime Minister, Fat Dog Fencing Club, Wallingford, CT

University of Bridgeport:  Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA
EMAIL:  [email protected]  and/or  [email protected]
PGP Public Key:  0145FDE5  (Keyfile available upon request)

Back to archive top level