tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 12 21:35:52 1996

Re: KLI motto comp +KLBC

nuqHm writes:
>Some suggestions for the comp.
>Also headed KLBC as I still have little faith in my ability !
>
>batlh mu'mey wInejtaH   -       we seek honourable words
>                                        or
>                                We seek words honourably

Your first translation isn't quite right.  If {batlh} could be used as an
adjective meaning "be honorable", it would follow the noun.  However, it
can't be used that way.  The first interpretation should be something like
"we seek honor's words" or "we seek words of honor."

I won't comment on {-taH} except to note that I do see it, and it seems
just fine to ignore it in the translation.

>batlh Hol wIHaDtaH              -       We study an honourable language
>                                        or
>                                We study language with honour

As before, the first one would have to be "we study honor's language" or
"we study a language of honor."

>batlh Holma' wIHaDtaH           AS ABOVE but OUR language

And again...with the added detail of the wrong possessive suffix.  Language
doesn't *use* language :-) so you need to say {Holmaj}.

>maQapmeH maHaDtaH       -       We study continuously in order to succeed
>ghojwI'pu'ma' DIvuvbejtaH       -       We certainly respect our students

Very good (both the Klingon and the english translations).

>ghojwI'pu'ma' ghojqangbejtaH    -       our students are certainly willing
>to continuously
>                                learn

You got the word order switched around here; "our students" is the subject.

>DaDav Daghoj DatIv              -       Fight !     Learn !     Enjoy !

Oops -- these are commands, and should use an imperative verb prefix that
indicates no object.  {Daghoj} is a simple statement: "You learn."  If you
are addressing one person, it should be {yIghoj}, and if you are talking to
more than one person, it should be {peghoj}.

Oh, and what is {Dav}?  The verb "fight" is {Suv}.