tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 12 09:43:28 1996

Re: To greet or not to greet? The canonical question

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:21:44 -0700 Robin Day
<[email protected]> wrote:

> nuqneH
> Therefore I suggest, whilst one may choose not to use nuqneH, one
> shouldn't criticise others who may choose to do so.

I completely agree. At worst, I see {nuqneH} as mildly
irritating when some bouncing puppy flutters in and grins,
gives a wink, wink, nudge, nudge, "nooknecht", like it
suddenly makes him a member of the club, one of the guys,
an insider in a secret society.

But then again, the whole approach is mildly irritating. It
wouldn't matter WHAT he was saying. I just sit, experience
a brief annoyance and then get on with it. Unless someone
has interesting news, most greetings involve brief
annoyance.

So?

This is no reason to slap the newbie down. Just give a sour
grin, think {wejpuH} and use {nuqneH} as you see fit,
leaving new members to learn by example, not by
unsubstantiated lecture.

As you pointed out, we have no canonical examples of this
use of {nuqneH} being wrong. In fact, the place Okrand
could have clearly shown us that at the beginning of Power
Klingon, the inappropriate greeting was {'IH jaj, qar'a'?}

That is, after all, inappropriate enough to justify a
discharge of a disruptor, right? I don't think if the
stupid human in that example had walked in and said,
{nuqneH} he would have gotten shot at. Spit on, maybe, but
it would not have called for the use of weaponry.

So, I join with those who think we should stop blasting new
speakers for introducing themselves with {nuqneH}. Okay?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level