tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 05 09:59:33 1996

KLBC

On Fri, 31 May 1996 [email protected] wrote:

> It is possible to say {'etlh lo'wI'} "sword user" and approach the meaning.
> It might also work to try {'etlh SuvwI'} "sword fighter", but this is a bit
> ambiguous.  It makes perfect sense if you already know what you're trying
> to say, but someone who doesn't understand it to begin with would not find
> your meaning obvious.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

     Yes, I came up with these also.  'etlh SuvwI' makes me picture
someone fighting AGAINST a sword, instead of WITH one.  I like 'etlh
lo'wI' though.  It has a similar feel to the English word "swordsman".

I've incorporated your corrections, so let me know how these are now:

tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaH, suvwI'pu' Hol 'oHmo.
<I am learning (continuously) the Klingon language, because it is the
language of warriors.>

jIjatlh' vIneH.
<I want to speak clearly.  Literally: I want that I speak clearly.>

qep'a' wejDIchdaq jIjaH, yapchugh HuchwIj.
<I will go to the Third Convention, if my money is sufficient.>

ALIEN was on the Sci-Fi channel earlier this week.  It got me thinking
about the line, "In space, no one can hear you scream."  I came up with
the following version:

loghdaq soHmo', jachmeylij Qoybe'.
<Because you are in space, they do not hear your screams.> or possibly
<Because you are in space, your screams are not heard.>

I also jotted down the following lines:

tach 'el cha' veranganpu'.
tlhIngan SuvwI' luqIH.
tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaw' wa'DIch verangan.
SuvwI' batlh mawbej verangan, 'ach Sovbe'.
qoHpu' Sov tlhIngan leghDI', vaj HoHbe'.
verangan QoywI'Du' teq 'ej targhDaj je'.
verangan yIn 'ach luvuvbe'veranganpu', QoywI'Du ghajmo'be'.
ghojqu' cha'DIch verangan, 'ej tlhIngan Hol jatlhbe'.

Two Ferengi enter a bar.
They meet a Klingon warrior.
The first Ferengi apparently speaks the Klingon language.
The Ferengi undoubtedly offends the warrior's honor, but he does not know.
The Klingon knows fools when he sees them, so he does not kill him.
He removes the Ferengi's ears and feeds his targ.
The Ferengi lives, but Ferengi (pl.) do not respect him, because he does
not have ears.
The second Ferengi learns (emphatic), thus he does not speak the Klingon
language.

{All right, all right, I know it's not a great story.}

General question:  How do I shut digest mode OFF?  Digests are nice for
reading, but they're a real pain to reply to conveniently on my system.

Thomas M. Zeman                         " reH nuHmey tu'lu' "

Chairman, Connecticut Division, United States Fencing Association
Prime Minister, Fat Dog Fencing Club, Wallingford, CT

University of Bridgeport:  Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA
EMAIL:  [email protected]  and/or  [email protected]
PGP Public Key:  0145FDE5  (Keyfile available upon request)

Back to archive top level