tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 03 18:51:22 1996

Re: KLBC:Some more...(was Re: KLBC:{-Daq})

beHwI"av writes:
>yav bIngDaq jIH (I'm below the ground)

This is okay as an example, but don't ignore the noun {wutlh}.

>HuDwI'Daq ghargh vIghoS (I thrust (It's probably illegal to use {ghoS} like
>this) in my mouth)

I'd translate it "...into my mouth".  And yes, {ghoS} does seem strange for
this meaning.  How about {vo'} "propel"?  To translate what I think you're
trying to say, I'd probably use {nom vIlan} or {pe'vIl vIlan}.

>HudwI'Daq tetlu' (It melts in my mouth)

"Mouth" is {nuj}.  Even though people use their mouth in order to speak,
a mouth itself isn't capable of using language, so "my mouth" should be
{nujwIj}.

>(Should I use {'e'} to revere to the {ghargh}...

No!  {'e'} is a pronoun which refers to a previous *sentence*.  It and
{net} are used only when an entire sentence is used as the object (see
TKD section 6.2.5).

>...and is the suffix {-lu'} correct, there is no object)

Since you used it, there *has* to be an object.  The object might be
unstated, but it exists, and in this case is either "he" or "she" or
"it".  I'm not sure whether {tet} is transitive, so {tetlu'} might be
okay for "it is melted", but "it melts" might just be {tet}.

>ghargh vIHagh (I laugh at Klingon serpent worms)

{ghargh} is a snake or worm or something similar.  The food "serpent worms"
is {qagh}.  {Hagh} is just "laugh", not "laugh at"; depending on just what
meaning you have in mind, you could say {gharghmo' vIHagh} "I laugh because
of the worm(s)."  But we also have the verb {vaq} "mock", if what you mean
is "I laugh in their faces."