tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 22 19:56:51 1996

Re: Compound nouns and conjunctions

Lenny writes:
>        I have an interesting problem:how do I translate
>"the law of honor and discipline"?
>
>        "batlh chut Sun je" could mean "honor and the discipline of law"
>as well as the intended meaning of the sentence.

It could mean "honor's law and discipline," "honor and law's discipline,"
or (most reasonably) "honor, law, and discipline."  But it can't mean what
you asked it to.  To say "the law of [something]," {chut} must come last.

I believe {batlh Sun je chut} is what you want.