tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 14 16:18:55 1996

Re: KLBC:qatlh jIH

>[*sigh* The "verb-prefix-indicates-indirect-object-instead-of-object"
>construction is spreading, and there's nothing I can do about it.  As
>an "official" speaker of the language, I must follow the rules as they
>are given.  It's legal, of course, but it just feels so wrong.]

Don't give up!  I happen to agree with you whole-heartedly.  Besides, just
because we have a few Okrand examples doesn't mean it's right!  (What?
 Blasphemy you say?  I'm quite sure that Okrand wasn't thinking too hard
about the language when he made those language tapes.  There are too many
mistakes for that.  Are you also willing to concede that noon is {cha'maH
wa'vatlh rep}?  Not me.  Put this at the top of the Okrand wish list: that
"verb-prefix-indicates-indirect-object-instead-of-object" only occurs in a
few instances, but normally doesn't happen.  Anything to explain away the
mistakes, and then get on with some grammatically correct Klingon!)

I'm sure that some of you may think I'm crazy, but there it is.  vIqaDlu''a'?

SuStel
Hovjaj 96123.1

Back to archive top level