tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 13 22:01:26 1996

Re: KLBC> HaDIbaHpu' le' mach

I really like the answer:

According to Alan Anderson:

> ter'eS writes:
> >My intention in this sentence was to avoid a literal object.  {Doch rap}
> >seems too concrete to me; I think {Doch} should refer only to actual
> >physical items.  {ta'} seems more goal-oriented than Pinky's question
> >warrants.
>
> One of the nifty tools I've found for recasting questions is to ask "how"
> instead of "what".  TKD 6.4 gives {chay' jura'} "What are your orders?"
> (page 70).  So one might ask {DaHjaj ram chay' mavang?} instead of asking
> {DaHjaj ram nuq wIqaSmoH?}.  Pinky's question indeed is open-ended, with
> no hint of a goal; but Brain's answer certainly deserves the use of {ta'}.

majQa'! qechvam vItIvqu'.

Meanwhile, I'd give an even stronger answer to:

> >Can you use a verb with {-bogh} by itself as an object?  That is, can
> >{wIqaSmoHtaHbogh} mean "that which we are doing"?
>
> There's no rule against it, but this usage is very unclear.  It could
> as easily mean "we who keep making it happen."  If you're going to use
> {qaSmoH}, then the "generic" object should probably be {wanI'}.

While there is no explicit rule against it, using a relative
verb with no explicit noun is gibberish. The relative clause
describes a noun. You need a noun there to describe. Otherwise,
it would be like using an adjectival without a preceeding noun,
which cannot be interpreted as an adjectival. It would instead
be interpreted as a verb. Example:

verb:       tIn Duj.
adjectival: Duj tIn vIghaj.
el mistako: *tIn vIghaj.*

That third option fails to mean "I have something which is
big". If you want a verb which is not acting as a main verb to
describe a noun, you need the noun. You don't need a rule to
tell you that you need a noun. You just need a noun.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \