tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 08 07:50:18 1996

Re: KLBC: vInIDqa' (Re: KLBC: HIboQqa')

ghItlh ghunchu'wI':

I also have a nagging suspicion that "preacher" and "teacher" are two
different concepts in Klingon.  To "preach" is more a matter of delivering
a sermon than causing a student to learn.
<<<

jang mu'vaj [nice name, BTW]:

If a preacher is doing his or her job he or she is a teacher -- a  teacher of
God's Word.  In the Greek they are referred to as  pastor/teachers*
several times.  It's the same calling!
<<<
*[I didn't know Ancient or N.T. Greek had a slash mark!]

But a preacher isn't the same as a teacher. The Hebrew word in the
passage (and the name of the book), "kohelet", isn't generally used for a
teacher. ... toH! I just checked the _American Heritage Dictionary_ under
"Ecclesiastes", the name we use in English for the book, and it says that
it's Greek for 'preacher', a translation of the Hebrew Qoholet. I'm no
Hebraist, but I've just asked two co-workers, one a native Israeli Modern
Hebrew speaker familiar with the Hebrew Bible, and the other an
American English-speaker versed in religious Hebrew. In fact, neither of
them could think of any uses of it outside this book. [The American thinks
it may be related to "kahal" 'congregation'.] -- So I think we have good
reason to translate this with a word that doesn't mean just 'teacher'.

We do have a word that is very relevant, judging from its gloss:
paQDI'norgh 'teachings (noun)'. The English word "teachings" normally
doesn't refer to just anything that anyone teaches, but specifically to
religious or similarly doctrinal "things taught", especially the "things
taught" by an acknowledged master or the founder of a religion or
school.

Unfortunately for the present case, paQDI'norgh isn't a verb, so we can't
just attach -wI' to it. So may I suggest
   paQDI'norgh jatlhtaHwI'    'speaker of (the) teachings'

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
     Subcommander Markemm,
            Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level