tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 08 07:41:13 1996

Re: KLBC: vInIDqa' (Re: KLBC: HIboQqa')

>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 06:41:11 -0800
>From: [email protected] (Soqra'tIS)

>vInIDqa':
>Eccl. 12:8  lo'laHbe'!  lo'laHbe'! jatlh ghojmoHwI'. lo'laHbe' Hoch'e' .

I still think "Dap" works well.  Or "ramqu'".  Everything's nonsense.

>>I also have a nagging suspicion that "preacher" and "teacher" are
>>two different concepts in Klingon.  To "preach" is more a matter of
>>delivering a sermon than causing a student to learn.  Remember that
>>the root word of "teacher" in Klingon is actually {ghoj} "learn".
>>I would say {jatlhwI'}, or {jatlhwI''a'}, or maybe {jatlhchu'wI'},
>>depending on my opinion of the speaker.

>In this instance, the word {ghojmoHwI'} is what is used in the original,
>[Teacher].

Welllllllllllllll.....

The trouble is, the original uses "qohelet" which really is tough to
translate.  There's no clear meaning to it.  It sounds more like a proper
name than anything else (especially considering the beginning of the book:
the words of Koheleth, the son of David).  It could be a nickname Solomon
(the presumed author of the book) is using.

The word "qohelet" seems to be derived from the root Q.H.L. (assemble,
gather), related to the word "qahal" meaning "assembly" or "congregation."
Thus "preacher", the one who calls together an assembly.  Does it "really
mean" teacher?  Not clear.  Certainly not directly.

>As far as "preacher", from what I've seen, one could also use ({SoQ},
>{qeS}, or {jach}) + {-wI'}, (modified by {qetlh}, {Doj}, or {QIv}) any one
>of which would work equally as well >}};-).

You can try translating "qohelet" with words like "boS" or "ghom" or
something.  But what's probably a lot better (if you're sticking with
translating instead of taking it as a proper name) would be something like
"qup".

~mark

Back to archive top level