tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 06 19:00:38 1996

Re: KLBC: HIboQqa'

ghItlh Soqra'tIS:
>Eccl. 12:8     Hechbe'lu'taH !  Hechbe'lu'taH !  ghojmoHwI' jatlhtaHqu'.
>               Hoch'e'  Hechbe'lu'taH

Without recourse to the "original", I read this as something like:
"It continuously is not intended!  It continuously is not intended!  He
really keeps speaking 'the teacher.' As for everything, it continuously
is not intended."

My _Scofield Reference Bible_ sheds only a little light on what this is
supposed to be: "Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher, all *is* vanity."
There's precious little context even in Ecclesiastes itself for the word
"vanity," but I assume it to mean "action or accomplishment without any
lasting significance" or something similar.  I can't manage to figure out
how {Hechbe'lu'taH} might fit this concept.

The only useful comment I have regarding this attempt is that it seems
entirely too literal; literal translations are rarely good translations.
Go for the *meaning* behind the words; the words themselves are merely
symbols we use to represent the meaning.

>yIlugh

jIlugh reH 'e' vInID!  <yIlughmoH> DaghItlh chaq 'e' DaHech'a'?