tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 06 08:02:18 1996

Re: KLBC: HaDIbaHpu' le' mach

On  5 Feb 96 at 22:19, Alan Anderson wrote:

> ghItlh 'etlhqengwI':
> >HaDIbaH wa'DIch:  DaHjaj ram machav nuq, yab?
>
> [It's spelled {Ha'DIbaH}.  A Klingon spelling checker would be a great
> tool for beginners and experts alike. :-)]
One thing I am trying to do is use a bit more brain and a bit less
TKD, so that one came from memory.  Obviously, I had a bit drop out!

> >HaDIbaH cha'DIch: Hoch DaHjaj ram Doch rap wIchav, machwI'.
>
> {Hoch DaHjaj ram} translates as "everything's today's night".  I'm pretty
> sure you don't want {DaHjaj} there.  To say something like "every night",
> the Klingon is {ram Hoch} "all of the night(s)".  {Doch} is such an
> imprecise term; maybe you could use {ta'} instead.

I realized I didn't want DaHjaj in there about thirty seconds after I
hit "send".....  <ram Hoch> does seem to work much better.
OTOH, <ta'> didn't even occur to me.

> >yuQ wIchargh wInIDqu'taH!
>
> This needs to be {yuQ wIchargh 'e' wInIDqu'taH}.  The pronoun {'e'} is the
> object of {wInIDqu'taH}, standing for {yuQ wIchargh}.
jiyaj

> [I'd probably have used the word {Ha'DIbaHHom} to refer to them (or, just
> maybe, {yIHHey}).]

yIHHey would seem to carry an element of distaste, which I didn't
want to express.  Ha'DIbaHHom works better than using "mach" to
express size.  Is it OK to have used the <pu'> plural?  These
"animals" *are* talking.

> >lutvam boyajlaHbe'chugh, tera'ngan Hol vIlI'qang.
>
> lutqoqvam vIyaj.  wa'logh <machwI' yab je> vIleghpu'.
     ^^^^
I used "story" because I couldn't devise a way to say "conversation"
or "dialogue".  Suggestions?

> 'ach "NARF" vIyajbe'chu'.  DaQIjlaH'a'?  QIjlaH'a' vay'?

<Australia>Daq ghoS machwI'.
vaj, DaHjaj, <Australia>ngan jupwI' vItlhob
muQIjlaHchugh, SoHvad De' vI'ang

'etlhqengwI'

Garrett Michael Hayes;  Client/Server Labs
8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
[email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com
770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax

Back to archive top level