tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 01 08:04:40 1996

Re: FOR MNIXON: list & name

According to [email protected]:

> OTOH, that leaves mIHal, which is a very good transliteration of a
> different name: Michal, a Hebrew female name.  Which may or may not
> matter to you.  Your name is Michael? It also comes from Hebrew.
>    mIHa'el  [note the "e", and the location of the apostrophe]
> is a pretty good transliteration in appearance as well as a good Klingon
> spelling of the Hebrew pronunciation.

Or, if they really want a transliteration, maybe they don't
feel attached to Hebrew. Everyone named Michael is not
necessarily related to anything Hebrew. Such a person might
prefer something like {mayqel} or {may'qel}.

> On the gripping hand, in this list we regard names as being pretty much
> what their bearers want them to be, even if they go outside the normal
> rules of Klingon grammar and word structure.  Here are three examples.
> I'll quote Mark Shoulson on the origin of his and my names:
>    ---- quoting Mark Shoulson ----
>  Here's how my name (Seqram) came about:  There were (and still are)
> several "Mark"s on the list.  One of them is Mark Mandel (Hi, Mark!), who
> started calling himself "marqem", presumably from "Mark M." respelling in
> Klingon. [Right. -- marqem]  Thought I, "that's pretty cool."  So I did the
> same with my name: Mark S. -> marqeS.  And then not to look TOO much
> like a copycat I spelled it backwards: Seqram.  I liked the way it sounded
> and looked, and it means either "seismic fault of the night" or "trivial
> seismic fault"... the meaning isn't important, but at least it doesn't mean
> "boneheaded moron." So it works...

Good description.

>       marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
>      Subcommander Markemm,
>             Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
>
>                          Mark A. Mandel
>     Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
>   320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \