tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 31 14:46:34 1996

RE: Greetings

December 31, 1996 9:49 AM, jatlh Holtej:

> > >	Other doubt:  Qa'pla or Qapla' ?
> >
> > The word is "Qapla'".
>
> On the Microsoft Network (MSN), there's an area called the Klingon
> Compendium, one section of which is "Linguistic Studies."  Every day,
> there's a new word.  The word /Qapla'/ is given.  (These are all done by
> Okrand).

Actually, I'm beginning to wonder if he doesn't just give the word and the
sound file, and someone else writes the entry.

> In the explanation part of this screen, the word is given an
> alternative spelling: /Q'apla/.  Now, it's not tlhIngan Hol orthography,
> and you'll never catch *me* using this spelling, but sometimes rules are
> broken, (heck, my first name is d'Armond), and this may be a frozen
> form.  Still different from /Qa'pla/ above, but I thought it worth
> mentioning.

Ack!!!  There's another, much more significant part to this entry!!!

"This is used as an exclamation, a greeting, or a farewell.  It means 'Success
(to you).'"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay.  It's a greeting.  Now there are two.  *sigh*

A couple of other entries I happened upon (I really should make a copy of
every one):

{Haw'} "Verb, to run away."  Not "run away from."  This implies that it is
intransitive.

{la'} "military ranking above lieutenant and below captain."  This seems to
settle the question of {la'} vs. {ra'wI'}.

{mej} "Verb, to go away from."  Ooh!  {mej} seems to be transitive!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level