tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 23 15:30:12 1996

RE: KLBC

December 23, 1996 9:09 AM, jatlh loDDoq:

>  bIyIn nuqDaq?
>  where do u live?

You always put {nuqDaq} at the beginning of a sentence (or rather, it goes
where a noun with a {-Daq} suffix would go).

nuqDaq bIyIn?

"Huntington, New York"-Daq jIyIntaH.

>  bImIgh
>  you are evil!

jIH?!?  bInep!

>  mem Dalegh
>  see the cataog(I didnt believe when I saw there's a word for catalog !?)

I can just imagine Okrand searching for new words to add to the dictionary.
He's stuck for a new one, his eyes search around the room, they see today's
mail, there's a catalogue . . .

If this is a command ("Look at the catalogue!"), then you must use an
imperative prefix, and not a regular verb prefix.

mem yIlegh

>  (vI?)pIn jIH
>  he's my boss(I had a problem with that sentence;how do I say it?)

pInwI' ghaH.

Again, this sort of sentence is explained in TKD section 6.3.  I've used the
Type 4 noun suffix, {-wI'}, here.

>  maqach
>  we are building

{qach} is a noun!  This would be best expressed as

machenmoH
We are causing to take form.

One would usually specify *what* one is building.

>  juH maqach(Daq?)
>  we're building a house

juH wIchenmoH.
We are building a home.

Note, this is not the same thing as "house."  There is no known word for
"house" in the sense of "building for living in" (maybe {yInmeH qach}).

>  yIDachen
>  Build it!

Ah!  You chose to use {chen} after all!  Now, you cannot use an imperative
prefix and a regular prefix at the same time!  Also, you must use the {-moH}
suffix.  {yIchen} is just "take form!" but {yIchenmoH} is "cause it to take
form!" or "Build it!"

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian