tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 20 10:57:10 1996

RE: Klingon CD-ROM,CK & PK- looking for input

December 18, 1996 1:13 PM, jatlh Syndee Branton:

> This is my first post so please be leniant. I'll make this short and to
> the point so I dont distract myself.

That's fine!  Klingons always prefer someone who gets right to the point.
"Straightforwardness."

> I would like to get other people's opinions and perspectives on the
> Conversational and Power Klingon tapes and possible the cd. Are they
> good learning tools? Are they easy to follow along with (i.e. they don't
> jump all over the place) in conjunction with the klingon dictionary?

The tapes are not really intended to be used in conjunction with TKD.
Conversational Klingon is essentially a simplified version of TKD, and teaches
you basic grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation.  Power Klingon is useful to
learn how to use the language in social Klingon situations.  It does not
concentrate much on basic skills.

However, both tapes are quite entertaining.  They have funny dialogue scenes,
where tourists and Klingons talk, and Marc Okrand provides translations into
Klingon.  You learn a lot from Power Klingon, and you get a sense of "Wow!
When's the next starship to Qo'noS?!?"

As for the CD-Rom game, I think it's great fun, and very useful.  However,
it's also quite expensive, so only buy it if you either (a) really love
interacting with Klingons or (b) decide you can't get enough of the language.
(I fall into both categories.)  Remember, the CD is not only the Language Lab,
but also a fun game, too.

> I would like to get more of an idea or feel for these items before I
> invest in them moneywise.

My suggestion is: get Conversational Klingon to start.  Use it to learn to
pronounce the sounds, and learn some basic vocabulary  ("yes," "no," numbers,
etc.).  If you're having a great time with it, buy Power Klingon.

Also, feel free to post any questions you may have to the list.  Put "KLBC" in
the subject heading, and I'll be the first to respond to it, to help answer
your questions.

batlh bIghojjaj!

--
SuStel