tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 18 17:22:35 1996

Re: DaH vay' vIlarghlaH

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
:>From: "William H. Martin":
:>
:>"You smell like a targh."
:>jaSHa' He' SoH targh je.
:
:It would have to be "SuHe' SoH targh je" wouldn't it?  If Klingon pronouns
:were so different from English that "thou" + "other" didn't equal
:"you-plural", Okrand would have said.

Would he? TKD is only a sketch of the grammar after all (TKD 2, p. 18).
This sounds like a good question for Maltz as it may not be predictable:
Does SoH + "other" = tlhIH or chaH in Klingon? If I'm speaking to you and
substitute your name {{;) for the pronoun that refers to you, we get:
    "Seqram smells like a targ."
    jaSHa' He' Seqram targh je.
I searched the canon (of course!) and couldn't find a good example either
way. Can you think of one?

How do "extended" pronouns work in other Terran languages?  What do the
German and Portuguese editions of TKD say?  Has anyone on the list actually
seen either of these?  Do we know how involved Okrand was in their
translation?

Voragh

Back to archive top level