tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 18 15:00:56 1996

RE: KLBC: Joints

December 18, 1996 1:04 AM, jatlh jo'Sqa:

> > > Can <-Daq> be used for locating things other than in the "area above" or
> > > "area below" and such?  Would <DesDaq qIv> be possible for "knee"?
> >
> > I believe that {-Daq} cannot be used as part of a noun phrase (at least, I

> > don't think it has been used that way so far).  It functions with the
sentence
> > as a whole.
>
> 	So, you're saying we shouldn't break new ground here.

I want to break new ground in English.  I believe that I can negate any verb
by putting the prefix "un-" on it.

Therefore, I uncannot unerase this sentence by untaking "un-" at the beginning
of every word.

What?  You say I can't do that?  Why not?  It makes sense!

The simple fact is, we are scientists studying the language used by Klingons,
which has been initially presented to us by Marc Okrand through his Klingon
informant, Maltz.  Just because you say you want to do it such-and-such a way
doesn't mean it's true.

> OK...
> assuming we *wanted* to call the elbow the "knee of the arm", how would
> one go about this?

DeS qIv

> 	Here's a second try at "elbow":
>
> 	<DeSDaq SIHwI'>
> 	area of the arm that bends

That's another noun phrase where you tried to use {-Daq}.  This time, it's not
even appropriate.  You don't want to say "bender on the arm," you meant {DeS
SIHwI'}.

Personally, I'd understand this, but it seems very wrong.  If any of the other
suggestions given so far do not suffice, I say just wait for the word to be
discovered.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian