tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 18 13:15:49 1996

Re: RE: KLBC. First attempt

At 09:35 PM 12/17/96 -0800, you wrote:
>HurghwI'vo':  > chaq jIH yajlaw' law' jIH yaj.
>charghwI'vo': > Even weirder gibberish.
>
>ja' HurghwI':
>>AHEM . . I realize this might not be the best way to say this; this is just
>>a linguistic exercise.
>
>bIqeqpa' Qel chaw' yISuq! :-)
>
>The law'/puS comparitive construction works only with verbs
>"expressing a quality or condition".  Trying to shoehorn an
>active verb like {yaj} into it results in absolute garbage.
>Not to mention the necessary {puS} you've been leaving out.

I understand, SuStel explained.

>There, that makes complaints from at least three people about
>your "exercise" -- you should stop it immediately before you
>do some real damage. :-)  Practicing something *wrong* is at
>least as bad as, if not worse than, not practicing at all.

I said it once. And now I know it's wrong, so I wasn't planning on saying it
again.

>If you don't like charghwI''s recasting the law'/puS away,
>how about this?
>{pab vIyajlaw'bogh law' law' pab vIyajbejbogh law' puS}
>"I seemed to understand more grammar than I certainly understood."

I couldn't find {law'}, besides "many," in the dictionary.
Where is it?

-HurghwI'
Hovjaj 96965.0

Back to archive top level