tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 18:11:13 1996

Re: RE: KLBC: yet more again...

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:34:42 -0800 Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Andrew 'Ska' Netherton" writes:
> > > Using {-wIj} is considered derogatory, but for some reason I doubt that
> > > Klingons would use it just to insult someone.  I think it's more of a taboo
> > > than a method of insult.  Besides, if your so-called lord is not worthy of
> > > being referred to with {-wI'}, is he worth insulting?
> >         I suppose, but I wanted to make it bite and fester at the same
> > time.  Sort of the Klingon equivalent of calling someone a "tool".  :)
>
> I just see it as a grammatical error in an attempted insult.  In my
> view, using the wrong possessive suffix reflects badly on the speaker,
> not the person being possessed.  It takes attention away from the
> insult.
>
> Sort of the Klingon equivalent of saying "He am a tool" when you meant
> to say "He is a tool."  :)
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

While my gut reaction is to agree, actually looking in TKD,
Okrand explicitly says it is derrogatory. I think it works as an
insult, though it doesn't seem clever enough to make a very
impressive insult.

Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it would not be
sufficiently insulting to get you killed...

charghwI'

Back to archive top level