tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 04:52:21 1996

Re: KLBC: Re: good name

>> Is right <vIQaQ pong'a' *u'Dam*?> to say "is u'Dam good as a name?"
>This sentence is from another beginner Mago, and I don't think it
>is right.  I would translate it as "I good it big name u'Dam". No, in
>case you were wondering, that doesn't make sense in English either. :)
>
>> I thought it would be something like <pongwIjvaD QaQ u'Dam>
>Hmmmmm... interesting.  "u'Dam is good for my name".  Not the approach I
>would have taken, but I understand it.  Is this a Spanish idiom?

well, yes, in a way! It is certainly closer to Spanish than to English, in Spanish we'd say something like "Esta bien u'Dam como nombre?" which is nearly a literal translation (well - We'd probably say something more slang like "Que tal si me pongo u'Dam?"). You know, it's hard to think in Spanish, translate into English and translate into thlIngan Hol !

Qapla'
	Mago

Back to archive top level