tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 10 13:14:43 1996

KLBC: serving a ship

	I am trying to describe past actions that I have undertaken, but
I'm  failing to right now.  I'm trying (ultimately) to say;

	"I was the engineer on the ship <QeHjo'>."

So far, I can get this far:

	Duj QeHjo' vItoy'ta' jIH
	"I accomplished serving the vessel <QeHjo'>."

But then to include the fact that I *was* an engineer, I can't find a way
to say "I was the engineer", let alone "I was the engineer on the vessel
<QeHjo'>."  It seems that I get stuck in the ugly corner of not having "to
be" available to me, and I wonder if I could get away with (sheild your
eyes, grammarians):

	SuvwI' jIHta'
	I was an engineer.

...but I just KNOW that I'll burn in the fiery depths if I try to use
that.  So I won't.

	On a related topic, how would you go about using the name of a
ship in a sentance?  In the about example, should it be <Duj QeHjo'>, or
<QeHjo' Duj>?  I'm half tempted to say the latter, as it's (only sort of)
like using one's name an then title; name (of the ship), title (vessel).
Obviously, I'm in a bind with this <taHqeq> of a sentence.  (BTW, are
there translations of these epithets?)

	tugh yIQaH!

 / _ \                                   \         ** Andrew Netherton **
 \__)|        "VENI, VIDI VINNIE"         \ __     jo'Sqa, tlhIngan SuvwI'
     \      I came, I saw my cousin.      |(_ \   Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Back to archive top level