tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 09 22:00:12 1996

RE: KLBC: ST VI translations

December 09, 1996 3:55 PM, jatlh Andrew 'Ska' Netherton:

> 	I watched ST VI again last night, and tried to catch some of the
> <tlhIngan Holqoq> spoken.
>
> 	<taH maH, taHbe'!  Ha ha ha haa!!>

Actually, we know for a fact that he said {taH pagh taHbe'}.

> 	To me, that seems like a very contextual use of "to be, or not to
> be", or something like that.  But if it IS "to be, or not to be", I would
> have translated it as:
>
> 	<taH maH, pagh taHbe' maH>

If you were going to do it this way, you'd need appropriate verb prefixes (I
don't think you can claim Clipped Klingon when you go out of your way to say
unnecessary suffixes):

mataH maH pagh mataHbe' maH

or

mataH pagh pataHbe'.