tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 07 16:50:54 1996

Re: yuch

>An even more curious state of affairs is why the klingons have a word for
>cockroach <vetlh>.  Roaches are Earth bugs also.  But then perhaps they
>hitched a ride to Kronos hiding in the crates of imported chocolate.
>
>----------
>> > Like this: "praying mantis."  Unless there is a variety of praying
>mantis in
>> > the Klingon Empire (I always thought they were indigenous to Earth),
>the
>> > Klingons won't have a word for it.
>>
>> I've always wondered why there is a Klingon word for chocolate (yuch). Is
>> it real Terran chocolate (maybe the Klingons import it?) or is it just
>the
>> nearest Klingon equivalent? Of course, this is a really stupid question,
>> so no-one has to reply.
>>
>> 'olIva'

In many ways this is the same argument that Historical Biology had for years.
The Americas are a different continent, they must have *completely* different
critters over there than they do "here" (aka Mother Europe).  But lo and
behold, not only did we have the same genera of plants and animals, if
I'm not badly mistaken, we even have some of the same species that they
have elsewhere (discounting H.sapiens, of course!  :-)  ).  Biologically
Klingons may be classissified as H.klingonii or some such, or they
could be Klingonii sapiens -- we do seem to be designed pretty much from
the same general blueprint.  Parallel Evolution is a big thing -- and if
the universe were seeded by an Older Sentient race, there is no reason
why *other* species couldn't have evolved in parallel just like bi-pedal
hominoids did.  As a biologist, I don't have *any* problem with the fact
that there are cockroachs on QonoS, (or chocolate, or Trillium, or
Preying Mantids.  They're probably not the same species we have here, but
I suspect that they would be emminently recognizable by any competent
biologist.

IMHO, YMMV, and sorry I couldn't post in tlhIngan.  There doesn't seem
top be words for most of these concepts.

tevram, tIHaDwI'  (yes, I know it's not a legal word ...)
[email protected]

Back to archive top level