tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 19:04:46 1996

RE: KLBC: interrogative punctuation

December 03, 1996 4:07 PM, jatlh ~mark:

> Now, because it means "Yo, listen up," "SSS" is also used when ordering
> animals.  That's a borrowing from ordinary commands, I would think.
> Although we're told that "SSS" should precede all pet commands, we are NOT
> told that it should ONLY precede commands to pets.  Indeed, we are told
> (p.57) that it means the speaker is about to give orders, presumably to
> people.

As Michael Dorn tells us, the "yo, listen up" attention-grabber is "{SuH},
which some Klingon speakers pronounce as {SSS}."  (Well, okay, Dorn says
"sh-sh-sh.")  You can use either one when commanding pets.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level