tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 02 16:06:56 1996

Re: Embedded wh-questions

ghItlh Qorbeq:

> ghItlh Holtej:
>

> > There's a question that's been gnawing at me for a while...
> > Now, what I'm wondering is, how do we say, "who do you think the officer
> > hit?"
>

> {'Iv 'oH ghot'e' qIpbogh yaS 'e' DaQub ?}
>
> (You think that the person which the officer hit is who?)

I think this fails for the same reason, Holtej felt his own
example failed - a feeling I share:

if you replace {'e' DaQub} by {bIjatlh} you are not indicating
that you somehow missed that part of the sentence (i.e. it is
NOT "Whom did you say the officer hit?"), you just state what
your opponent said/will say (i.e. "You said 'Whom did the officer
kill?'.").

The only way, I can think of to do it (without recasting! - you
can certainly find ways to first indicate what you are talking
about and then ask a question relating to that [I don't think
ordering s.o. to indicate s.th. works in all situations though])
looks very ungrammatical to me, but here it is anyway:

'Iv 'oH ghot'e' qIp yaS 'e' DaQubbogh?

I don't think you can turn a whole SasO phrase into a relative
clause like this.

HomDoq

Back to archive top level