tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 02 15:14:41 1996

RE: KLBC: Re: Hamlet

December 02, 1996 3:35 PM, jatlh Qorbeq:

> majQa'! <Hamlet> vIje'pu' 'ach vIlaDlaHbe'. <Christmas>vaD pol be'wI'.

{be'wI'}?  Your woman?

Is she giving it to you for Christmas?  {-vaD} isn't a "for" substitution.  It
means "this noun receives the result of the verb."  Is Christmas receiving the
giving?  No, you are.  Christmas is simply when it happens.  You can treat it
as a timestamp.

"Christmas" jIHvaD nob be'wI'.
My woman will give it to me on Christmas.

Oh, I just noticed that you said she is "keeping it" for Christmas.  This
means the same thing, I suppose.  Still, you could also say this using {pol}.

qaSpa' "Christmas", pollI' be'wI'.
My woman is keeping it until Christmas.

This doesn't tell you as much as the first one, though.

<Hamlet> Suqjaj wa' neHbogh Hoch'e'!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian