tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 02 13:30:38 1996

RE: How to say "monastary".

On Monday, December 02, 1996 4:17 PM, David
Barron[SMTP:[email protected]] wrote:

> > > Monastery: SovHal? (Knowledge source?)
> >
> > Out of context, this wouldn't mean much to me or anyone else.  What is
> > monestary?  How does it fit into the context of what you're saying?
> > "Knowledge-source" could mean anything.  It could refer to a library
computer,
> > a well used for divination, or even a fortune cookie!
>
> ONe could use <chIrgh> "Temple (structure)" for monastary depending on
the
> context.

Or, one could appeal to Shakespeare.  :)  In Hamlet, the line "Get thee to
a nunnery" was translated as /ngaghQo'wI' nawlogh yImuv/.  Footnotes
translate it as "squadron of the celibate," and further expound: "the
closest Klingon equivalent of a monastic order, these were bands of
warriors --- of either gender -- who dedicated their lives to fighting, to
the point of refusing to mate."

> david

--Holtej
Stardate 96922.38