tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 29 19:42:14 1996

Re: Families (was KLBC: sources)

At 11:21 AM 8/26/96 -0700, Donald E. Vick wrote:
>> A "family" does not speak, although it's members do.  Same thing for a
>> "council".  Same thing for "High Command".  Same thing for "sources".  {{:)
>IMHO:
>I realize this is an antropomorphism, but there is other linguistic precedent
>for "families" speaking.  It is found in many Terran cultures that have strong
>family structure like Klingons do. Frinstance, the head of a Highland Scot clan
>may be referred to as "The MacGregor" and Macchiavelli repeatedly refers to the
>ruler of Turkey as "the Turk".  Also see King Lear's habit of addressing the
>king of France simply as "France".  The principle is that the head or valid
>representative of a family or politival unit speaks with the voice *of the
>unit*.  Note that this is qualitatively different from speaking *for* the unit.
>Flame away. I know I'm asking for it.

Actually, I am familiar with this... it was something brought up on TNG
TrekMUSE at one point, as we were discussing that the Head of House would
probably be referred to by the Housename.  (i.e., as I am SoS of the House
ghargh'a', I would likely be addressed as just ghargh'a').

I think that would fall under "personification of theHouse, and symbolizing
the House as the Head of the House", rather than the House actually
SPEAKING.  When you get to this point, the House is personified by the
Head... and yea, the Head CAN speak... but I know from direct, PERSONAL
experience, that that does not necessarily mean that the Head has spoekn
something everyone inthe House agrees with... so...

I still beleive that families/councils/etc fall under the "not capable of
speech" header.  What you are talking about isn't true speech... a family
cannot open it's mth and issue sound... sure, the HEAD cna do that... but
the Head is just the PERSONIFICATIOn of the House...

It's a hard thought to follow.

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level