tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 27 06:03:07 1996

Re: British Klingon - more

ghItlh ~mark:
> ...Hmm, I wonder if Voyager will
> ever run into those two Ferengi stranded by the Barzan wormhole.

joSvam vIQoypu': taghDI' "Voyager" DIS chu', DIlegh net pIH.

> > Live long and prosper
> > yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep

> Hey, cool, using "SIQ" for "experience," like I've long wished for!

I would have been happier with {tIv} in this case.  {tIv} and {SIQ}
seem like subjectively positive and negative aspects of the same basic
concept (with the English word "experience" being a neutral form).

> I still prefer "nI'jaj yInlIj 'ej bIchepjaj" as a wish.

The "original" is clearly a command.  I suspect that the Vulcan
language does a good job of distinguishing between commands and
wishes, and that a Vulcan would carry the distinction into other
translations.  I'll cast *my* vote for the imperative form. :-)

Alan Anderson              Delco Electronics
{ghunchu'wI'}       Remanufacturing Services
        Test Equipment System Software Group

Back to archive top level