tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 26 13:34:24 1996

Re: British Klingon - more

> >From: Niall Hosking <[email protected]>
> >Ok, here is the promised text from the 'Radio Times' magazine (as
> >opposed to the book :)
>
> Oh, maybe I have the magazine instead of the book, then.  Or is it the
> same?  It has that poster you mentioned... Hmm, I wonder if Voyager will
> ever run into those two Ferengi stranded by the Barzan wormhole.

If it says "72p" as the price, you have the TV listings magazine (this
is the one I'm referring to here). If it says #6.99, then its the 30th
Anniversary Special (both are published by Radio Times/the BBC). The TV
magazine has a two page spread with just examples, the 30th Anniversary
Special has the interview with Okrand, the (pull-out) map and a whole
*load* of episode listings...

> >Live long and prosper
> >yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep	(yin nil ya-SHEEKH ledj ya-CHEP)
> >[someone here seems to be trying to put 'l' instead of {'}]
>
> Hey, cool, using "SIQ" for "experience," like I've long wished for!  And
> it's good it wasn't "ghaj" either.  I still prefer "nI'jaj yInlIj 'ej
> bIchepjaj" as a wish.

Certainly 'experience' makes more sense than 'have' - ghaj does seem to
mean 'possess', and it's *so* easy to mistranslate 'have', given that we
use it so often as an auxiliary. Also , it's particularly good to have
this well-known phrase written down. Now you to can be the ultimately
sad "Trekkie"...not only saying 'live long and prosper', but being able
to say it in Klingon too! (Has anyone transliterated the Vulcan version
from ST:TMP?)

qSeroHS
--
Niall Hosking
aka Kserokhs Vaene

'Practise random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.'

Back to archive top level