tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 25 10:29:56 1996

Re: KLBC: sources

At 03:42 PM 8/22/96 -0700, Alan Anderson wrote:
>someone said:

Someone?  That's ME!  *bonk!*  :)

>>yIlop! wa'leS chaq maHegh!
>>Translated from Klingon:  Celebrate!  Tomorrow we may die!
>
>trI'Qal replied:
>>Wow!  That was absolutely perfect!  Of course, knowing my luch, that is
>>right out of _The_Klingon_Way_... {{:/
>
>You correctly anticipate your luch [sic].  It's from page 153.
>(One of the side effects of being BG for half a year: I got *very*
>familiar with the reference materials!)

HIvqa' vqlargh (that's for typoing "luck").

That's one of the reasons I was willing to take this on... silly me. But
then, I have allways been a good guesser... I think I better get another
copy of TKW to peruse...

>~mark suggests:
>>Well, "pelop" might make more sense.
>
>The context in TKW involves one person (Kurn) talking to another (Worf).

Ah, thank you ghunchu'wI'!  (You DO realize that I will ALWAYS associtate
that name with yoU? :) )... now I don't feel so bad about missing it... but,
it was still incorrect for the context where it was presented.  Well, maybe
not... I think that was in his .sig file, which I could see as being acceptable.

I guess this is a good opporuntity to give a caution to our Beginners (even
they are even FOLLOWING this thread to this point!):

If you are quoting something out of ANY canon source, unless it is something
like a toast or a replacment proverb which must be said EXACTLY as they have
been handed down to us, make *sure* you check the verb prefixes for
"you"/"all of you" ("you" singluar / "you plural).  Either that, or make not
that you are adressing just one person...

Or something. {{:)

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level