tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 24 10:35:47 1996

Re: cause to be

A.APPLEYARD writes:
>  {X jIH} = I am an X. Here jIH acts as a verb. So, is this allowed? :-
>  X jIHmoH Y = the Y caused me to be an X, the Y turned me into a X.
>  Duj HoD jIHmoD matlh = Maltz appointed me as spaceship captain.

Verbal pronouns indeed can take verb suffixes, but I'd rather not try to
say things using them when there are other more straightforward ways to
express the idea.  {-moH} is particularly problematic, because it seems
to shift the subject to the object position, and {jIH} is no longer the
right pronoun to use for someone else as the subject.

If I wanted to talk about the state of being something because of
something else, I'd much rather use the suffix {-mo'} on Y:
{matlhmo' Duj HoD jIH} "I'm a ship captain because of Maltz."

-- Alan Anderson, professional programmer and amateur Klingonist

Back to archive top level