tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 22 21:07:35 1996

Re: KLBC: sources

HoD trI'Qal wrote:

> I really hope that you read my "Message for beginners" I posted last night;
> it tells you who I am, and why I am replying to your post.  If not, please
> say so, and I will email you a private copy.

'oH qalaDta'.
I read it.

vay' qayajHa', pagh net Hoch gheDra' yItlhob'e'?  {{8^D
Did I miss something, or do you ask that of all your prey?  :-)

> At 09:50 PM 8/20/96 -0700, Jeffrey Stimac wrote:
> >qaSuj'a'
> >Am I bothering you?
>
> ..and this is a very *nice* first sentence!  Short, simple... and only one
> possible error, depending on meaning...

yuDHa' jIH, tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom mu'tlhegh net jIlelta''e'
To be honest, I just copied that sentence from TKD.

Soh qajatlhpu' jIH (Sohna').
I was speaking to you (like just you).

> Owie.  The first one was really nice... {{:)

'oH *slaughtered* jIH, lug'e'?
I slaughtered it, right?

> To answer you question:
>
> Well, that's antoher hotly debated topic. :)  I think everyone can agree
> that the Klingon Dictinary is a source, as are the the two audio-cassette
> tapes by Simon and Schuster(spelling?):  "Conversational Klingon and Power
> Klingon", plus the Klingon CD (which I have heard about, but don't have...
> yet).  Marc Okran, who create the Klingon Dictionary, was involved with the
> creation of all of these.  There are a number of other sources which are NOT
> wholly agreed upon, such as the various Star Trek novels--most notably those
> written by john Ford, who had many Klingon words which (I think he...
> everyone else certianly does) he refers to as Klingonaase.
>
> If I remember right, I think I saw a posting from Mark Shoulson, the list
> Grammarian, saying that for convention, we use only Okrand-bless.., er,
> words/grammar form Marc Okrand, but I will let Mark adress that issue (if he
> bothered to even READ this novel...)

I have TKD, CK, PK, TKW, KCD, and Klingon Words Not in TKD (a.k.a.
KWNITKD??).
I do not have HolQed, the newsletter put out by KLI but I figure the
KWNITKD
will hedge against anything I might miss.  Having this many resources
should
result in better sentences.  I'm sorry if it takes me some time before I
am
any good at this.

> I hope this rather lengthy response helps you...

DIch'a'!
Definitely!

> I think I remember seeing something saying that there is a canon example
> that ranks should come *after* the name... i.e., qarghan HoD.
>
> Don't feel bad; I often call myself HoD trI'Qal still. {{:/

I appreciate your comment.  I'll fix my sig file.

> >yIlop! wa'leS chaq maHegh!
> >Translated from Klingon:  Celebrate!  Tomorrow we may die!
>
> Wow!  That was absolutely perfect!  Of course, knowing my luch, that is
> right out of _The_Klingon_Way_... {{:/

bIlughbe'
You are right.

> --trI'Qal (my name doesn't mean anything, so don't look it up. {{:) )

So it would be considered a "proper name" right?

--
Jeff Stimac
qarghan HoD
yIlop! wa'leS chaq maHegh!
Translated from Klingon:  Celebrate!  Tomorrow we may die!

Back to archive top level