tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 21 14:21:23 1996

Re: 'I'

qaSDI' 96-08-21 12:42:37 EDT, jatlh ~mark:

> When Marc Okrand arrived, we told him the tale.  He said "Well, you know
>  what the Klingon word for "armpit" really *is*?  'I'!"  And that,
children,
>  is how Klingons got their 'I'Du'.  (He later used it in the Hokey Pokey
>  during the Cabaret.)

Don't forget to mention: when ~mark explained this story to Marc Okrand, I'm
not sure he was completely following the origin of {'I'}, and at the end of
the story, he asked, "How DO you say 'armpit'?" figuring we'd tell him the
correct word which he'd forgotten (at least, it sure seemed this way to me).
 We all grinned, and said (almost in unison), "I don't know.  How DO you say
'armpit'?" more or less as a joke, half-hoping he'd come up with some word,
but not expecting it.  However, with a totally straight face, Okrand acted
surprised that we didn't know, and said simply, "'I'."  Of course!

SuStel
Stardate 96641.6

Back to archive top level