tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 21 11:29:53 1996

Re: Punctuation

Perry J. Brulotte writes:
> On this list I see people enclosing words in differen punctuation such as
> asterisks (*), slashes (/), and (<>).  Is there some 'official' use of
> these symbols in tlhIngan Hol.  If so, can someone define them for me?

I've tried several symbol conventions during my time here, and I've
pretty much settled on a way of doing things.

When I use a Klingon word in english text, I surround it with braces.
They're no harder for me to type than quotes or asterisks, and they
look kind of like Klingon foreheads. :-)
  The correct spelling is {tlhIngan}, with a capital {I}.

When I use an english word in Klingon text, I put it in double quotes.
Sometimes I just drop it in with no special marking, though; usually
the spelling makes it stand out sufficiently well.
  yIntaH "witch" 'e' yIchaw'Qo'!

When I use a non-word in Klingon, I precede it with an asterisk.  This
is usually a transliterated term, or sometimes a name.  If I'm giving
a hypothetical example of a noun used as a verb or vice versa, I will
always put an asterisk on it.
  *'avra'am lalDan Dapab'a'?

I use less-than and greater-than signs as Klingon quotation marks, if
they help make the sentence a lot more readable.  (I'm going to have
to rethink verbs of saying, though.  SuStel is getting to me...)
  <Ha'DIbaH vISop vIneH> jach yaS.

I don't know the ASCII version of the International Phonetic Alphabet,
but when I try to use it, I use slashes to surround pronunciation.
  I usually pronounce the name of Sol II as /viyn*s/.

Alan Anderson              Delco Electronics
{ghunchu'wI'}       Remanufacturing Services
        Test Equipment System Software Group

Back to archive top level