tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 20 06:50:20 1996

RE: KLBC: A few test phrases

> >Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 16:04:00 -0700
> >From: "Perry J. Brulotte" <[email protected]>

> >In some parts of the U.S. "You don't have no honor." might be considered
> >correct.  ;)
>
> There's no *real* reason for double-negatives to be wrong; most languages
> are not mathematical logic, and many have double-negatives.  In fact, we
> didn't know if Klingon did or didn't use them at first, and really there
> was no true answer, until we had some canon (the CK line quoted above).
> Don't be ashamed of "don't have no honor"!

Indeed, some languages and dialects require the double and multiple
negatives.  These are called "negative concord" languages.  BVE is a
dialect of English which uses this, as in the "don't have no" example.
 West Flemmish and Italian come to mind as other examples.  I have the
standard examples at home (my mind is going), if anyone is really
interested.

> ~mark

--Holtej

Back to archive top level